Labor Day is the unofficial end of the summer holiday season. While the day honors the hardworking men and women who make this nation go and grow, the weekend also gives us a chance for one more big backyard barbecue blowout. Here are some BCTGM-made goods to get your barbecue off to a great start.
The products listed here are just some of the BCTGM-made products and is not inclusive of every BCTGM local or union-made product. BCTGM members work for hundreds of North America’s best food companies producing thousands of quality goods, too numerous to list. As always, look for the BCTGM Union Label!
- Burnham and Morrill (B&M), Portland, Maine (Local 334)
- Canada Dry, 7-UP, A&W Root Beer, Orange Crush, and RC Cola, Denver, Colo. (Local 26)
BREAD & ROLLS
- Bimbo Bakeries U.S.A.: Bimbo, SB Thomas, Sara Lee, Nature’s Harvest, Earthgrains, Freihofer, Colonial, Metz, Arnold, Brownberry, Oroweat, Entenmann’s, Ball Park, Marinela, Maier’s, Beefsteak, D’Italiano, J.J. Nissen, Boboli, Mrs. Baird’s, Heiner’s, Tia Rosa (tortillas), Stroehmann.
ICE CREAM TOPPINGS
- The Masterson Company, Milwaukee, Wisc. (Local 244)
- Ebro Puleva, Fresno, Calif. (Local 85)
- Dakota Growers Pasta Co., New Hope, Minn. (Local 22)
- Ronzoni Foods Canada (New World Pasta), Montreal, P.Q. (Local 227)
- Frito-Lay, Inc., Rold Gold Pretzels, Canton, Ohio (Local 19)
- UTZ Pretzels/The Bachman Company, Reading, Pa. (Local 6)
- Frito-Lay, Topeka, Kan. (Local 218) & Vancouver, Wash. (Local 364)
- Pirate Booty, Keystone Foods Products, Inc., Easton, Pa. (Local 6)
- Mike-Sell’s Potato Chip Co., Dayton, Ohio (Local 57)
- Happy’s Potato Chips/Old Dutch Foods, St. Paul, Minn. (Local 22)
- Bugles, General Mills, West Chicago, Ill. (Local 316G)
- Safeway Bakery: Local 114 (Portland, Ore.), Local 118 (Washington, D.C.), Local 68 (Baltimore, Md.)
- Hostess Brands, LLC, Ding Dongs, Twinkies, SnoBalls – (Only Hostess Brands sweet cake products from Indianapolis (Local 1) and Columbus, Ga. (Local 42) bakeries.)
Here is a brief list of beers and ales made by union members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM), the International Brother of Teamsters (IBT), the United Autoworkers (UAW), the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE), and IUE-CWA. (For a more extensive list – there are MANY – visit www.unionplus.org/union-made/beers.)
Or if you prefer union-made ROOT beer, chose Barq’s, Blumers or Old Philadelphia. For non-alcoholic beer give Sharp’s a try!
- Budweiser/Bud Light
- Mad River
- Rolling Rock
- Alexander Keiths
- Blue Moon
- Coors/Coors Light
- Genesee Cream Ale
- Iron City
- Labatt’s Blue
- Shock Top
- Red Stripe