The AFL-CIO yesterday launched a nationwide television ad campaign highlighting the wave of collective action sweeping the country. From surging organizing victories to the defeat of Prop. A, working people are on the rise. As AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka puts it:
“Brothers and sisters, it’s time…And, I know you can feel it…Let’s fight for those who fight for us…You see, something is happening in America…When we stand together, we have the power.”
The ad will run on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News through at least Labor Day, coming on the heels of some major victories for working people:
- 262,000 working peoplejoined unions last year—three quarters of them under the age of the 35.
- We elected pro-worker candidates in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Alabama and elsewhere across the country.
- A was voted downby two thirds of Missouri voters, including half of Republicans.
- The New York Timesdeclared that the wind is at our back, while even The Wall Street Journal warned CEOs that unions are on the march.
- Labor unions’ approval rating has risen to 61%, the highest in nearly 15 years.